Last summer, my mother-in-law sent me home with a cardboard box overflowing with a mass of old yarn – acrylics in every color and a few skeins of wool. I spent 2 weekends tying the skeins into hanks, washing them and twisting them together for storage while I figured out what to do with them. How much yarn was there? More than this:
In the fall, I thought it might be nice to make a blanket for my MIL to say thank you. I thought I could have it ready in time for Christmas, or maybe pretty soon after.
I finished it two weeks ago. I kept running out of the colors I’d chosen and I had to GO BUY MORE. Oops. Fortunately, the pattern is somewhat forgiving – there’s only one place where I think the new color did not match as well as I’d hoped and is very obvious. Otherwise, the alternating stripes and layout of the colors helps hide those changes.
It’s the Hue Shift afghan pattern. It’s meant to be knit in 10 colors of sport weight yarn. I went with 8 colors of worsted, greens and browns. I love the way it lives up to its name, and the finished product is warm and springy and soft. And machine washable.
If you can’t stand weaving in ends, you might ask a trusted friend to stand on suicide watch if you do this project. I think I spent about 3 hours at the end of the project weaving in ends … at least 2 ends per square times 64, plus row ends, stitching the four big squares together and the border … seriously – if you hate doing it, you might end up throwing the whole thing out the window at the end when you get to that part. Which is definitely preferable to throwing yourself out the window, but such a waste of good work.
I think when I did the math, I came up with close to 100 hours on this afghan in total – in part because I didn’t like the way my first quadrant turned out, so I took the whole thing apart and redid it. Yeah.
Totally worth it.